Lake Macquarie History

New Lambton Heights

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

The placename of New Lambton Heights in the Parish of Newcastle was assigned the designation of suburb and the boundaries were defined on 10 August 2001 in the City of Lake Macquarie. It is a neighbourhood that is about 1 km south south west of Lambton and about 1 km north east of Rankin Park.

Lambton was named from the mine manager Thomas Croudace’s home in the UK, the Lambton Estate.

Water supply: The New Lambton reservoir was built in 1927 and sewerage services came in 1942.

An early name for New Lambton Heights was "Illawong" an Aboriginal word meaning "view of the water" (Source: NMH 14 May 1991).

Reference

Armstrong, John W & Hunter District Water Board (N.S.W.) 1967, Pipelines and people, Hunter District Water Board, [Newcastle, N.S.W.]

Extract - Geographical Names Board of NSW. [online] Gnb.nsw.gov.au. Available at: http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search/extract?id=ujqwlMKmMa [Accessed 29 Mar. 2019].

Streets in New Lambton Heights