The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
After the many pelicans which used to be seen there. The few pelicans seen today are the survivors of vast flocks which used to inhabit the lake. Originally the name applied to Swansea as well. The aboriginal name was Ky-yee-bah meaning place for games.
Corroborees were held in this area, and canoe races and other games were held by the Aborigines in and around the Lake Channel. There were still Aboriginal people living in the area in 1929.
Early Land Grants:
Portion 99 and 99 (Kahibah Parish) granted to George Carnley.
D.P.19251, the "Carnley Estate" declared on 15/5/1937 and encompassing Loma Street and Soldiers Road.
In the 1920's a plant and flower nursery existed called Bull's Garden.
The area was well served by water transport (see Swansea) and later by the Swansea bus service.
First Post Office:
Officially opened as a non-official post office on 1 January 1927. Prior to this date it operated as a receiving office.
Public School opened in January 1938; it was known as Marks Point School until September 1950.
Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]
Streets in Pelican
- Turea Street
- Pacific Highway
- Tofino Close
- Anacla Close
- Bato Street
- Cabbage Tree Palm Crescent
- Cycad Close
- Faymax Street
- Karoburra Street
- Karog Street
- Kullara Street
- Lakeview Parade
- Lorna Street
- Makoro Street
- Piriwal Street
- Soldiers Road
- Theano Close
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License