The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
Ryhope is a locality in western Lake Macquarie between Awaba and Freemans Waterhole.
A subdivision was planned in 1881 and in the early part of the 20th century. Samuel Brown purchased much of this. He was described as the "Squire of Ryhope" There were two small coalmines in the mountain opposite the holding, named Blowfly Pit and March Fly Pit. (LMH 12 September 1968).
Palmers Creek flows through Ryhope and Awaba into Stony Creek at Blackalls Park.Lake Macquarie Shire Council in the 1970's moved to purchase some of the land in the old subdivision so that it could control future development (NH 14 May 1991).
Ryhope is most likely named after the village of the same name in the UK. There is an interesting story about an old Sea Otter flying boat that ended up in a farm in Ryhope during the 1950s and 60s. It was nicknamed the "Ryhope Cat", despite it not being a Catalina (NMH. 6 November 2003).
Ryhope is probably best known today for the Lake Macquarie Memorial Park, Cemetery, and Crematorium.
A small part of Awaba State Forest is in the Ryhope area.
The area was also known locally as Palmers Creek and Palmers Crossing.
Streets in Ryhope
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License