Descriptive, given to the sub-division. Earlier known as Gorrick's Point.
Early Land Grants:
Portion 30A and Portion 31 A (Morisset Parish) both 40 acres and both owned by Thomas Hanson.
D.P.13123, declared on 11/2/1925, part of portion 31A and encompassing Sunshine Parade, Cessnock Road, Vista Road and Waterside Avenue. This was named Sunshine Estate and the southern sector along Waterside Avenue was called Sunshine Extended.
Early European Settlers:
Mr. Joseph Gorrick owned the land at the point. He was the State Member for Wollornbi and practised as a solicitor in Maitland and Newcastle. His house at Sunshine burnt down around the turn of the century. His daughter Ivy married the actor Bert Bailey (see Morisset Park).
The Hanson family lived at Hansons Bay (now Sunshine Extended) at the end of Waterside Avenue. Some old coral trees may still be seen near the site of the house. Mr. Hanson, who had been a sheep farmer, came to the area to retire. the remainder of the Hanson land to the south of Maitland Avenue remained untouched by subdivision. After World War II the Mather family acquired it and built a small weekender there. This was purchased by Lake Macquarie Municipal Council as open space in 1984 and the house was demolished. A jetty remains on the southwest side of Hansons Bluff.
Fishing and timbercutting, some subsistence farming. Thomas Hanson, son of the original landholder, did some boatbuilding.
By water or horse and dray to Morisset.
South Lakes Sailing Club is located at Sunshine.
Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]
Streets in Sunshine
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License