Lake Macquarie History

Tingira Heights

Name Origin:

Tingira was the name of an aboriginal tribe which lived in the vicinity of the coastal area of southern Queensland and northern NSW. The name means open sea. It was the name of a sailing ship launched in 1866 and originally named Sobraon, later sold to the NSW government as a training ship. In 1911 it was sold to the Commonwealth and re-named "Tingira". It was commissioned in 1912 as Australia's first naval training craft and remained in commission until 1927. The ship was towed to Berry's Bay in 1929 and broken up in 1941.

Tingira Heights was originally known as Violet Town but there was a town of that name in Victoria. In 1965 the Violet Town Progress Association called for suggestions for a new name and the H.M.A.S. Tingira Old Boys Association asked that the name of their ship be commemorated. Many ships have been named after towns but few towns have been named after ships.

A vote was taken by the Progress Association on 12 May 1965 and the name Tingira was adopted with the addition of the word Heights. "Tingara" is an alternative, though incorrect, spelling which is in common use today. The Geographical Names Board of NSW, which is the authority in these matters, has formally designated the spelling if the suburb as Tingira Heights.

Early Land Grants:

James King applied for the land under the Crowns Lands Consolidation Act of 1861 but it is uncertain whether he obtained it. On 9/4/1889 J/C. Bonarius acquired Portion 100 of 100 acres (Kahibah Parish).

Early Subdivisions:

First subdivision "Violet Township", D.P.2422 was surveyed on 13/12/1887, and encompassed King, Regent, John, Charles, Albert and James Streets. This was J.C. Bonarius' portion and as he did not receive title until 1889, the sale was held up until that year.

Early Settlers:

The subdivision appears to have been unsuccessful and no settlers built along "Old House Road" or beside Snake Creek. It was not until the 1960's that houses began to go up. In 1982 a huge bushfire swept up the gullies on the western slope and destroyed several houses.

Early Transport:

Dray tracks over the hills.In 1964 a bus service to Belmont began and in 1965 a bus service to Newcastle via Mt. Hutton was instituted.

First Post Office:

Opened I August 1966 and closed 29 September 1978.

Water Supply:

1955.

Sewerage:

1977.

Streets in Tingira Heights