Lake Macquarie History

Belmont North

Belmont North is an extension to the north of the suburb of Belmont, so named after the birthplace of the third settler in the district, Thomas Williamson. He originally named his farm Belmont and later a guest house (Source: LMPP).

The coal mine John Darling Colliery was a major feature of Belmont North which could have precipitated the need for housing in the area. Several families of the early management of the colliery built their homes in close proximity to the mine. After the closure of the mine, the property was bought by members of Belmont Baptist Church and transformed into an independent school and housing subdivisions.

In the years following the Second World War, as a result of the influx of British migrants, a quick solution for housing was needed. This was resolved by the quick installation of Nissen Huts in an area of Belmont North known locally as "Pommy Town", comprising a few streets to the east of Old Belmont Road. In 2009 there were 33 Nissen Huts remaining from the original 50 that were built. ("The Star" 18 March 2009) The Nissen Hut was a curved corrugated iron demountable building originally for armed services use but easily converted to a servicable residence (see Related Pages),

Belmont North Public School was opened in September 1953.

Streets in Belmont North