An early road leading towards Newcastle, Main Road became part of Main Road 223. It was the second road in Lake Macquarie Shire Council area to be tar-sealed. This was done in 1928.The railway station was completed in 1904 and the Royal Hotel (Iron Horse Hotel) was built early in the 20th century. A branch of the Wallsend and Plattsburg Co-op Store was here and taken over by Newcastle Store in 1961, finally closing in 1978. Community singing was held in the Star Theatre during the 1930s and early 1940s, led by resident John Miner who had a fine singing voice.
The early Southern Cross Picture Theatre was above the railway station until 1929 when the Star Picture Theatre opened in the shopping centre, lasting until 1978. One of H Ford's three Cardiff shops in 1931 was in Main Road. St Kevin's Primary School is in this street. The library opened in 1951 in the School of Arts and the library building was built in 1957. The early fire station building was here. There have been many more shops and businesses over the years too numerous to mention here.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License