An Aboriginal word believed to mean 'fruit' although this has not been substantiated, a 1919 street the Newcastle Wallsend Coal Company were the landowners, its name coming from Munibung Hill nearby. Munibung Road leads to a large industrial area. The Cardiff Workers Club opened in 1957 and has ungone a number of name changes. It has also been called Club Nova, then Panthers Cardiff and now Wests Cardiff. During the war years a small open cut coalmine operated here.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License