Photo Ref: 3086
Belmont Library opened on 14 August 1950. Built in the Neo Georgian style, with the assistance of the Joint Coal Board, it was erected facing the Highway with The School of Arts behind it. The librarian at the time was "housewife Mrs A. Purser, mother of three Belmont High School children", who stated that "Belmont is developing into a highly book-conscious community" of which "the demand (of books) is indicative of the growth of the Belmont district in the past 10 years." The library boasted innovative ideas, such as "storytelling recordings" and "special storytelling time for younger children". It moved to new premises 17 February 1997.