Lake Macquarie History

Swansea Heads

The important opening of Lake Macquarie to the sea is at Swansea Heads. Reid's Mistake Head was named after Captain William Reid who in the "Martha" discovered Lake Macquarie in 1800.
Reverend Threlkeld established a coal loading depot in 1842 at Swansea Heads.

In early times was called South Head.

The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Station is on Crown Land at Swansea Heads. The former Signal Master's Cottage burnt down in 2001.

Streets in Swansea Heads