Lake Macquarie History

Cameron Park

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

Originally named Estelville in a subdivision held in 1905, and named after Jack Estell, a local politician. The name Cameron Park was gazetted in 2001. It was chosen for its proximity to Cameron Park Raceway and is named after a founder of speedway racing in Australia, Ian Cameron.

Many street names are named in honour of merchant ships that visited New South Wales, in the 1800s. A number of streets were originally part of Edgeworth until the boundary with Cameron Park was established.

Streets in Cameron Park