Lake Macquarie History

Cams Wharf

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

Cams Wharf was named after an original grantee Samuel Cam. His house was at Cams Point where he built a wharf. His father, Dr Samuel P. Cam, lived with him in his retirement. The steam ferries calling at his wharf put the name on the lake map. Samuel Cam died in 1898.


May, Robert 2002, Kurrawilla archival record : Kurrawilla guest house 127 Marine Parade Nords Wharf, May+Swan Architects, Waterloo, N.S.W

Streets in Cams Wharf