Lake Macquarie History

Cardiff South

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

In 1875, the first subdivision to be held in Cardiff was DP 196 known as Coalbrook. This was part of Shadrach Morgan's 60 acre grant. Subsequent land sales were held in 1894 and 1920. Cardiff South was once known as Evelien (Source: Lake Macquarie Past and Present). On some early sales posters land owners names are not given, possibly parts of some land grants were combined for sales purposes.

First names were popular in Cardiff South for street names. Different spellings of landowner Quintrell or Quintral were used.


Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]

Streets in Cardiff South