Lake Macquarie History

Council Street

Originally named First Street in the 1902 Sulphide Corporation subdivision, later renamed Council Street. In 1915 the Council Chamber was built at the intersection with Main Road. The section of Council Street between Lakeview and Main Road was removed in 1977/79 when the present Chamber was built. Nurse Hawkins once conducted a private maternity hospital in First Street.