The old Government Road from Boolaroo was included in the 1902 Sulphide Corporation subdivision. Speers Point Hotel was built in the late 1800's, the Astor picture theatre in 1924 (RSL Club in 1963), the Macquarie Court office building in 2000, the library in 1962, and the school in 1957. Lake Macquarie Council Chamber has occupied three sites since 1915. The Alistair Private Maternity Hospital was also situated on Main Road. H. Millington's Cycle shop traded through the 30's and 40's. The Post Office opened in 1916 by Henry Oughton in a two storey shop and dwelling on the corner of Main Road and The Esplanade. It was owned later by Joseph Reynolds. M. Delaneys had a shop in 1931 and L. Needs butcher shop was here for many years. There have been many more shops and businesses too numerous to mention here. H Bond opened the Speers Point Service Station in the early 1920s.During the 1930's milk was delivered here from Amos Ridley's Young Wallsend dairy farm. Dr Bean of Wallsend had a practice in the area in the early part of the twentieth century. He was highly regarded in Speers Point. Dr Morrison's house and surgery was on the corner of Main Road and Nord Street in the 1930s and 40s.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License