Originally called Government Road. The name Esplanade was used in Warners subdivision map of 1879. Land sales were held in 1902 and the first all weather road to Warners Bay constructed in 1904. Road sealing along the waterfront was done in the early 1930's. An early dance hall was built by and located between the hotel and park gates. It is thought the hall may have been demolished some time after the publican subdivided Mary Street in 1934. The Esplanade is part of Main Road 674 and was extended to Speers Point Roundabout in 1973.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License