Lake Macquarie History

Arlington Street

A number of the fifty historically significant Nissan Huts were erected on Crown Land and were in Arlington Street. These huts were built specifically for migrants after WW2. Because of the number of English or 'Pommy' residents, the area became known locally as 'Pommy Town'. The name Arlington was gazetted in 1958 when ownership of the street was transferred to Lake Macquarie Shire Council. From a Lake Macquarie Shire street name list, Arlington is a town in the UK. Arlington Street is a companion street name with Harlo, Somerset, and Tamar Streets.