The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
There is a Killingworth in England and one in Connecticut, U.S.A.
Early Land Grants:
Portion 34 (Teralba Parish) of 2560 acres granted to William Bucknell (deed issued to A.W. Scott), 6/12/1888. This property was called "Deega".
D.P.4339, 13/9/1901; formed by Wallace and Westcroft Streets, The Trongate and Killingworth Road. Part of portion 34.
Miners who came to work at Killingworth Colliery.
Killingworth Colliery, also known as West Wallsend Extended, opened in 1892. In December 1910 an explosion wrecked the mine but no lives were lost. It was closed for four years. During this time, in 1912, it was purchased by Caledonian Collieries. Like most mines, it closed during the Depression of the 1930's and re-opened when the war brought a demand for coal. Today it is owned by Coal and Allied and has been modernised.
A private railway from Killingworth Colliery joined the main northern line at Cockle Creek.
First Post Office:
Opened 1st August 1900.
Public School opened from July 1891 to December 1892. It resumed operations from May 1902 to March 1941.
Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]
Streets in Killingworth
- Brooks Street
- First Street
- Geordie Street
- Killingworth Road
- Park Street
- Sackville Street
- Stephenson Street
- Sugarloaf Range Road
- Sydney Newcastle Freeway
- The Boulevarde
- The Broadway
- The Trongate
- Throckmorton Street
- Wakefield Road
- Westcroft Street
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License