The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
The placename of Myuna Bay in the Parish of Awaba was assigned the designation of suburb and the boundaries defined by the NSW Geographical Names Board on 31 May 1991.
On early maps the bay was named Pantaloon Bay. Myuna is an Aboriginal word meaning "clear water" ( Maynard). "Whiteheads Lagoon is in Myuna Bay, named after a Frenchman who came to the area with his three nephews and tried to grow grapes there" . (Source: "NMH" 2 May 1970). The Myuna Colliery, owned by Centennial Coal, opened in 1981 to supply coal to the Eraring Power Station.
Maynard, John & Maynard, John, 1954- 2004, Awabakal word finder : an Aboriginal dictionary and dreaming stories companion, Keeaira Press, Southport, Qld
Streets in Myuna Bay
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License