Lake Macquarie History


The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

Name Origin:

After the many pelicans which used to be seen there. The few pelicans seen today are the survivors of vast flocks which used to inhabit the lake. Originally the name applied to Swansea as well. The aboriginal name was Ky-yee-bah meaning place for games.

Aboriginal Occupation:

Corroborees were held in this area, and canoe races and other games were held by the Aborigines in and around the Lake Channel. There were still Aboriginal people living in the area in 1929.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 99 and 99 (Kahibah Parish) granted to George Carnley.

Early Subdivision:

D.P.19251, the "Carnley Estate" declared on 15/5/1937 and encompassing Loma Street and Soldiers Road.

Early Industries:

In the 1920's a plant and flower nursery existed called Bull's Garden.

Early Transport:

The area was well served by water transport (see Swansea) and later by the Swansea bus service.

First Post Office:

Officially opened as a non-official post office on 1 January 1927. Prior to this date it operated as a receiving office.

First School:

Public School opened in January 1938; it was known as Marks Point School until September 1950.


Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]

Streets in Pelican