The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
The important opening of Lake Macquarie to the sea is at Swansea Heads. Reid's Mistake Head was named after Captain William Reid who in the "Martha" discovered Lake Macquarie in 1800.
Reverend Threlkeld established a coal loading depot in 1842 at Swansea Heads.
In early times was called South Head.
The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Station is on Crown Land at Swansea Heads. The former Signal Master's Cottage burnt down in 2001.
Clouten, Keith 1967, Reid's mistake : the story of Lake Macquarie from its discovery until 1890, Lake Macquarie Shire Council, [Speers Point, N.S.W.]
PROUDMAN, D 2001, 'Flames destroy historic cottage', Newcastle Herald (Australia), 13 Apr, p. 14
2001, 'Vandals almost finish job', Newcastle Herald (Australia), 6 Feb, p. 4
Streets in Swansea Heads
- Diamond Close
- Francis Street
- Hamilton Street
- Lambton Parade
- Northcote Avenue
- Opal Close
- Pacific Drive
- Wallsend Street
- Waratah Street
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License