Lake Macquarie History

Wyee Point

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

In 1874 a large steam sawmill was built on the lake at Wyee Point. This belonged to a Mr Wakefield who had contracted to extend the Northern Railway from Murrurundi to Tamworth and needed a large quantity of sleepers. A large wharf was built near the mill and a lighter (a flat bottomed boat) was acquired to take the sleepers out of the lake. Joseph Lancaster was the manager and by 1875 it employed 60 men and turned out 40 000 feet of timber weekly. The opening of the mill drew a small resident population and some selections were taken up along the lake shores. The railway being built passed through Wyee and the station opened in 1887.
A subdivision at Wyee Point in 1894 was named Ramsgate Estate. This name fell into disuse. Wyee is an Awabakal word meaning bushfires (Source: NH 11 May 1993).

The placename of Wyee Point in the Parish of Morisset was assigned the designation of suburb and the boundaries defined on 31 May 1991 in the Lake Macquarie LGA(Source: NSW Geographical Names Board).

Reference

Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]

Streets in Wyee Point